[asterisk-users] FXS port doesn't provide dialtone

Paul Schewietzek tetsuo2k6 at web.de
Fri Jun 20 03:15:48 CDT 2008

Hello everyone,

I want to connect a fax to an FXS port (TDM420P). For testing purposes,
I connected an analogue phone to it first. However, when I pick it up, I
cannot hear anything at all.

The power cable is plugged into the card, the port is configured to use
fxo-signalling. Also, immediate=no. Here's the files:

/etc/zaptel.conf:

# Autogenerated by /usr/sbin/genzaptelconf -- do not hand edit
# Zaptel Configuration File
#
# This file is parsed by the Zaptel Configurator, ztcfg
#

# It must be in the module loading order

# Span 1: WCT1/0 "Wildcard TE121 Card 0" (MASTER)
span=1,1,0,ccs,hdb3,crc4
# termtype: te
bchan=1-15,17-31
dchan=16

# Span 2: WCTDM/0 "Wildcard TDM410P Board 1"
# channel 32, WCTDM, no module.
# channel 33, WCTDM, no module.
fxoks=34
fxoks=35

# Global data

loadzone        = de
defaultzone     = de

/etc/asterisk/zapata.conf:

[trunkgroups]
; define any trunk groups

[channels]
; hardware channels

; defaults
callreturn=yes
callwaiting=yes
cancallforward=yes
canpark=yes
echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=yes
echotraining=yes
facilityenable=no
hidecallerid=no
immediate=no
language=de
overlapdial=yes
pridialplan=unknown
priindication=outofband
prilocaldialplan=unknown
resetinterval=36000000
restrictcid=no
signalling=pri_cpe
switchtype=euroisdn
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
usecallerid=yes
usecallingpres=yes

internationalprefix=+
nationalprefix=0
localprefix=02203
unknownprefix=

; Span 1: WCT1/0 "Wildcard TE121 Card 0" (MASTER)
group=1
callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1
context=from-pstn
channel => 1-15,17-31

; Span 2: WCTDM/0 "Wildcard TDM410P Board 1"
;;; line="34 WCTDM/0/2"
signalling=fxo_ks
callerid="Channel 34" <6034>
group=4
context=from-fax
channel => 34

;;; line="35 WCTDM/0/3"
signalling=fxo_ks
callerid="Channel 35" <6035>
group=5
context=from-analog
channel => 35

Did I miss anything or configured something wrong? I don't know if any
settings for the TE121 interfere with the FXS ports. As a side question,
is it possible to 'un-set' any of the directives in some way (so they
don't get inherited to the next 'channel =>')

Kindest regards,

Paul