[asterisk-users] Can't make asterisk work...how to test?

D. Dante Lorenso dante at larkspark.com
Thu Jun 19 21:13:57 CDT 2008

All,

I've put a new asterisk server at another location and can't seem to get
it working.  What's the best strategy to debug connections?

I'm doing inbound SIP only and have installed the server in the same way
as I did on my DEV server.  Running an nmap on localhost shows the port
listening:

----------
[asterisk]/> nmap -sU localhost

Starting Nmap 4.11 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2008-06-19 21:12 CDT
Interesting ports on localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1):
Not shown: 1476 closed ports
PORT      STATE         SERVICE
5060/udp  open|filtered sip
----------
[planet]/etc/asterisk> nmap -sU localhost

Starting Nmap 4.11 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2008-06-19 20:11 CDT
Interesting ports on localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1):
Not shown: 1484 closed ports
PORT     STATE         SERVICE
5060/udp open|filtered sip

Is there a command-line tool I can run that will attempt a SIP
connection to a SIP server and provide some diagnostics about whether it
could authenticate or even connect?

-- Dante