[asterisk-users] Website callback

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Jun 19 04:47:59 CDT 2008

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 09:22:04AM +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> Reading the replies so-far... Cron jobs, databases, shell scripts... Ye
>> Gods... Try reading the manual (or at least the wiki)
>>
>> http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+auto-dial+out
>>
>> Scroll down to the bit headed:
>>
>>    How to schedule a Call in the Future
>
> What's the performance impact of having e.g. 30 such files at any given
> moment in the spool directory?

A very quick scan through pbx_spool.c would suggest it's reasonably
efficient as it only does an opendir/readdir at most once a second, and
even then, only if the directory itself has been updated since the last
look - there also seems to be more code to do a scan if it's not been
updated, but when a file is "old" enough... I think.... Maybe the author
could comment deeper :)

So the inneficiencies will come from the underlying operating system when
it's doing the actual readdir operation - which for 30-1000 files isn't
going to be that high - less-so if if it's using ext3 + btree/dir_index
mode. (or some other filesystem with efficient directory searches)

Gordon