[asterisk-users] World Cheapest Predictive Dialer!

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sat Jun 14 09:33:31 CDT 2008

Steve Totaro wrote:

> It is a legitimate real estate company renting you a place to live.
> This asset protection tactic has been around for a very long time and
> is legit.  Totally separate entities.

Well, certainly, and some of the time this asset protection tactic works
-- somewhat, but not exclusively covariantly with the degree to which
the real estate company is truly legitimate (i.e. operates in that
business), and not just an obvious asset shell.

However, as with all shell games and formal gimmicks, they sometimes
don't work.  If it can be shown that the other company's basis of
existence lies materially in securing your assets and little more, the
assets it is meant to protect can lose their shielding.

If I own a big house and a nice yacht and various other accoutrements of
high executive life and move them into an asset shell company and then
bankrupt my primary company, or the company becomes liable for damages
(due, in substance, to my actions) that cannot be collected without
liquidating it, and the financial picture is bleak, people are getting
laid off, foreclosures and garnishments and liens are being opened, and
the court finds that I'm sitting on an enourmous pile of lavish personal
assets owned by another company for the explicitly identifiable purpose
of insulating them from the consequences of the aforementioned
situation, there is the very real risk that they court will expose those
assets to liquidation as well.  It can and does happen.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems