[asterisk-users] Asterisk on SLOW solid state disk

Nicolas Ross rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca
Fri Jun 13 11:05:50 CDT 2008

Hi !

We are running our asterisk from a transcend ts8gifd25. The whole system, including the OS fit in this 8 gig disk. If you don't do any recording of calls, you don't need that much of speed.

We have 20 or so SIP phones, a PRI trough a quad-port sangoma card, one other port is a "pass-trough" to a dial-up RAS, another port is a point-to-point T1 data link to our office.

To date, we've handle a handfull of simultaniously calls without any performance degradation.

Regards,

    I'm looking at building up a standard asterisk system fanless/no moving parts.  I found a cheap solid state disk (Transcend TS32GSSD25S-M), but it is SLOW...25mb/sec read 8mb/sec write.

    Has anyone tried a slow disk like this on asterisk?  Will this delay voice prompts or screw up ast/linux in any interesting way?

    (I know there are linux distros and Asterisk projects designed to run off CF, but I'm hoping to stay mainstream)

    Thanks,