[asterisk-users] time on asterisk

Lee, John (Sydney) John.Lee at compuware.com
Thu Jun 12 20:22:45 CDT 2008

> > i'm using 64-bit Ubuntu Server Edition 8.04
> > I just use GMT+0, but i'm on Singapore whcih should be at GMT+8, but
if
> i use GMT+8 the system does not give the correct time.
>
> You should actually be using Asia/Singapure rather than guess.
>

> > i'm not using ntp, coz when i do i also don't get the correct time.
>
> That's because you have an incorrect timezone set.

I am also using gotoiftime in my IVR but I don't have any problems.

1) Install the distro and specify the timezone
2) Set the correct time in linux
3) Install ntp
4) Sync the time by ntpdate
ntp will always just sync using GMT time but the timezone specified in
the distro will provide the time difference and daylight savings.
That is it!

Also, can someone clarify if Asterisk really uses a different time than
the system time?