[asterisk-users] aSTERISK / Vicidial systems over 4MB fiber

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Jun 12 08:29:00 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 07:03:52AM -0400, Mark Adams wrote:
> I have a tellabs 8813 switch provided from time warner. No I currently do
> not have access to the switch. I am in the process of converting from analog
> based dialers using dialogic hardware TO asterisk/ vicidial systems
>
> I am strictly placing sip calls to my termination provider. I do not use the
> linux box for anything else. This fiber connection is dedicated to sip g729
> calls entirely.
>
> Yes the fiber terminates directly to the switch.
>
> There are 6 analog to voip gateways (audiocodes and mediatrix) and 1
> asterisk server. The gateways and 1 asterisk server are connected to the
> tellabs switch, security was never an issue because for the last 2 years we
> only connected analog to voip gateways to the open fiber connection.

Ok, step one:  Put a router/firewall behind that tellabs.  It should be
the only thing on your premises with a public routable address.  Yes,
that will make your SIP configuration a touch more complicated, but
you've already seen the balancing cost...

Go pick up a copy of Firewalls and Internet Security from O'Reilly,
find a quiet corner and a pot of really *hot* tea, and sit and read it,
assuming you can't pay someone else to do this for you.

But don't put *nix application servers directly on the net unless you
really know what you're doing.

And yeah, you're gonna have to wipe that box, as Steve said.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)