[asterisk-users] SIP call, updated with CID as it becomes available

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Wed Jun 11 09:17:38 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> Right now I have an Asterisk 1.4.18ish server and a Wildcard POTS
> interface.  As it is now, when the zap line gets a call, Asterisk
> answers it and waits for the analog CID to be presented, then rings the
> SIP phones with the call and the CID.  There's a significant latency
> involved in doing this.
>
> I'm wondering if the SIP lines can start ringing as soon as the zap line
> gets a call and when the zap line finally gets the CID, that is passed
> down to the already ringing SIP phones.
>
> That way if a SIP phone user wants to wait for the CID, they can, but if
> they just want to answer the phone without waiting for the CID, they can
> do that too.
>
> One might suggest that everyone wants to see the CID anyway, so why
> bother?  Because in some situations, the phone is not at an arms reach
> and the person only starts making their way towards it when they start
> to hear the ringing, so if the ringing starts before the CID is
> available it is likely that by the time they have gotten to the phone,
> the CID is available and yet the latency between the availability of the
> call on the zap line and it being picked up at a ringing phone has been
> reduced a ring or two.
>
> b.

Paul B just posted the same issue and suggested the same thing you did
in this thread "decrease the time it takes for asterisk (fxsks) to
answer"

This was my reply to his issue and a feature request I guess.

"That brings up a question though, on a regular landline with caller ID
the phone rings right away, it just doesn't display caller ID info
until a couple of rings.  Why not have that option in Asterisk?"

Thanks,
Steve T