[asterisk-users] Fax on FXS

Matt Watson matt at mattgwatson.ca
Mon Jun 9 17:46:54 CDT 2008

On June 9, 2008 12:57:11 pm John Morey wrote:
> I've been thinking about something around these lines that I'd like
> feedback on.  What I'd like to d,o if it works, is have a fax machine in
> St. Louis connected up to my asterisk box in Atlanta via Internet/SIP so
> that anytime the fax machine in St Louis sends a fax it actually goes out
> through the asterisk box in Atlanta.  Something if I understand it
> correctly like : Fax->SIP(long distance)->Asterisk->FXO->Customer Fax.
> Would something like this work?

This will not work:

Fax -> SIP ATA -> [internet] ->  Asterisk -> FXO -> Fax

Because you don;t have end-to-end T.38 support, Asterisk supports T.38
pass-thru but not origination/termination (yet).

However, what *should* work is:

Fax -> SIP ATA -> [internet] -> Asterisk -> SIP ATA -> Fax

the SIP ATAs obviously have to have T.38 support - for example a Linksys
SPA2102 should do it for you.  I've never tried faxing between ATA's so I
don;t know if they can actually negotiate T.38 support between each other,
but I don't really see a reason why they couldn't.

--
Matt Watson
http://www.mattgwatson.ca