[asterisk-users] fxotune question

Matthew Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Mon Jun 9 16:05:29 CDT 2008

John Morey wrote:
> I switch the wires in lines 5-8 (i.e. reversed tip and ring) and reran
> fxotune to tune the lines.  fxotune.conf ended up looking exactly the same
> as before the change.  Since I was expecting/hopping to see a change but did
> not I switched everything back to the way it was. Is there a way to test the
> lines, using a multi-meter maybe, to tell if the tip and ring are correct or
> reversed?
>
> After putting things back I reran fxotune to get the verbose output. It,
> foxtune.out.gz, is attached.  fxotune seems to have had a better time with
> line 7 during this run.  fxotune.conf now contains:
>
>    5=7,255,251,251,2,255,255,1,255
>    6=7,255,251,251,2,255,255,1,255
>    7=4,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
>    8=7,255,251,251,2,255,255,1,255
>    9=4,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
>    10=5,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
>    11=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
>    12=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
>
> I tried calling directly into the lines above and it seems lines 5,6,8 have
> much more echo than lines 7,9,10. So just for fun I edited fxotune.conf to
> the following and reloaded (fxotune -s) it:
>
>    5=5,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
>    6=5,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
>    7=4,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
>    8=5,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
>    9=4,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
>    10=5,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
>    11=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
>    12=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
>
> Unless I am just spacing out the echo on 5,6,8 seems less now.  I really
> have no idea what is going on.

Ok, I looked at the output of you running fxotune.  Basically, the lines
that have numbers in them besides 0 (after the first two terms x=y,...)
are the complex line simulation line models.  The output you gave me
demonstrated that they gave the best return loss characteristics using
the built in test frequencies.

It's possible that your setup is not performing well with these line
models, which is why you might notice less echo using the second set of
settings you listed above.  Which echo canceller are you using with
this, by the way? (Hardware, software, if software, which software echo
canceller).

Matthew Fredrickson