[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6 vs 1.4?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sat Jun 7 20:50:07 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Johansson Olle E <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

> 5 jun 2008 kl. 20.45 skrev Michael Graves:
>
>>> I wonder why more vendors haven't adopted IAX yet?
>>
>> I expect that before major players adopt this protocol it'd need to be
>> confirmed as a standard by some form of international body. That was
>> underway, but lacking anyone to push the process along.
>
> Please note that the IAX draft is just an informational RFC, not
> anything that goes any IETF standards track or is endorsed by
> the IETF.
>
> There are many vendor-related protocols documented like that.
>
> (Said from the chan_sip corner).
>
> Cheers,
> /Olle

I have consulted on so many systems with poor audio, the first thing I
check is IAX or SIP.  If IAX, I move over to SIP and the calls are
prefect.

I avoid IAX at all costs, use OpenVPN, open tons of ports on your
firewall, whatever you can do to use SIP.  The only time I will use
IAX is if in some remote backwards part of the world, they have
several NATs so it is impossible to control.

Even www.iax.cc recommends using SIP.  Overhead is of little concern
with MPLS and big pipes.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro