[asterisk-users] fxotune vs rxgain/txgain

Matthew Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Fri Jun 6 12:21:30 CDT 2008

Noah Miller wrote:
> Well, that clears it up a little.  I think where I get confused is
> that sometimes using fxotune is called balancing the hybrid and some
> times using ztmonitor and adjusting the txgain/rgain settings is
> called balancing the hybrid.  Perhaps they both try to achieve the
> same goal, but through different means?

Not quite.  Gain adjustment affects volume levels of the respective
direction you are adjusting (echo and all).  Balancing the hybrid via
fxotune attempts to balance the hybrid in a manner so that the hybrid
will remove as much of the echo as possible.

> This leads me to my other question - Are these two techniques mutually
> exclusive?  In some posts from Matthew Frederickson, it seems that
> they are, and that if you use fxotune, you should set your gains back
> to zero.  Some other people seem to suggest using both fxotune and
> adjusting gain levels.  I note that Stephen Bosch asked just this
> question some time back, and nobody was able to answer him.

These techniques are not mutually exclusive, I usually want people to
use gain modification as the last step in trying to eliminate echo
(after balancing the hybrid and making sure you are using a good echo
canceller).

In the case of running fxotune, your zapata.conf software gain levels
should not affect its operation.  If you are using any of the hardware
gain settings (wctdm24xxp module parameters) you should normalize those
to 0 beforehand so that they do not interfere with the calibration process.

--
Matthew Fredrickson
Software/Firmware Engineer