[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6 vs 1.4?

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Thu Jun 5 06:28:52 CDT 2008

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 03:40:14AM +1000, Rob Hillis wrote:
>
>>> If you use a hardware EC (or technically: a span-specific echo
>>> cancellation method) the generic Zaptel echo canceller (software-based,
>>> OSLEC in this case) will not be used.
>>>
>> That's not always been my experience with OSLEC.  HPEC and the generic
>> Zaptel echo canceller seem to work this way, but as I've said, I've had
>> two cases where I've had to remove OSLEC to stop it degrading voice
>> quality where there is a hardware echo canceller in play.
>>
> Unless there are some really strange OSLEC patches floating around, of
> which I'm not aware, this should not be the case.
>
> OSLEC uses exactly the same EC interface to Asterisk as the built-in
> one and HPEC do. Any chance you didn't actually fully unload zaptel?

These weren't installs that we'd done - in both instances, they were
companies who had bought Trixbox based systems from someone else who had
subsequently gone out of business.  Granted, I had /assumed/ that OSLEC
was causing problems by not disabling itself properly when hardware echo
cancellation was found - and I guess that assumption stuck when the
removal of OSLEC resolved the problem.