[asterisk-users] Browser based VoIP client?

Tim Panton thp at westhawk.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 15:13:00 CDT 2008

On 4 Jun 2008, at 21:00, Hilary Miller wrote:

> EdPimentl <edpimentl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Have you seen these client?
>> http://www.mozillavoip.com/
>> http://tringme.com/
>> http://www.twoiplink.com/
>> http://www.openwengo.org/index.php/openwengo/public/homePage/openwengo/public/projectsFirefox
>
> I was hoping that there was an open, free, full featured sip client
> with multiple channels and call transferring created in flash or java
> or something besides an extension. I didn't have my hopes up, and I'm
> grateful for your reply! Thanks!

Don't get too depressed just yet.

There is actually a sip client in java (based on the NIST SIP code).
I don't know if it is full featured - I've never used it.
https://jain-sip-applet-phone.dev.java.net/

You won't (yet) find a Flash implementation that talks direct to
your Asterisk because Flash doesn't support UDP (yet) and
it doesn't include a VoIP protocol (yet).
So all the Flash softphones out there have to use a Flash-media server
as a protocol translator to get to 'real' VoIP.

We (www.phonefromhere.com) have a Java IAX applet that can talk direct
to asterisk, but it isn't
free. (It also doesn't support multi-channel).

Tim.