[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6 vs 1.4?

Brent Davidson brent at texascountrytitle.com
Wed Jun 4 10:52:20 CDT 2008

Is there some location that outlines the major differences between
Asterisk version 1.4 and version 1.6?  I've read through change logs and
several technical discussions, but technical details don't really give
me the big picture.  Basically, is 1.6 more stable than 1.4?  Is it more
efficient?  Does it work better with echo cancelers like Oslec?  I'm
currently using Asterisk as a PBX for our branch offices and will soon
be converting our main office.  Our goal is to be able to have 2 analog
lines at each office, calls come in to each PBX and are routed by VOIP
to a receptionist at one of the offices who then routes calls
appropriately.  We're currently using Asterisk 1.4.19, Zaptel 1.4.10,
Oslec SVN,  Rhino R4FXO-EC cards, and Snom 300 Phones.  All of our
branch offices have 1MBPS DSL connections and are linked to each other
by VPN's running on our Cisco 1720 routers. Our only problem so far is
with intermittent echo on calls.  Most of the calls have a little echo
right at first, but it goes away almost immediately as the echo canceler
trains.  Every now and then, however, we get a call with terrible echo.
I've put in several e-mails to rhino support asking if the hardware echo
canceler needs something I haven't done but didn't get a response.  I
know echo is just something we have deal with when using analog lines,
but I didn't think it would be this big of a problem.  All of our
offices are in rural areas where digital lines are unavailable so that
is not an option.

Given this setup, is there any reason for me to switch to Asterisk 1.6
or should I stick with 1.4?

Thanks,
Brent Davidson