[asterisk-users] Trouble with Polycom phones

JR Richardson jmr.richardson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 20:08:13 CDT 2008

> Connections at our office.
> Computer---[PC jack on the back of the phones]----Phone----Netgear
> Switch---Mikrotik Router--- Wireless Connection to router--ds3---asterisk

I'm curious about the Mikrotik Router and the Wireless Connection, is
the router setup to NAT or route?  VoIP across a wireless connection
is not a good thing unless it is setup with QOS layer2/3.  Optimally
the PBX should be on the LAN side of the router.

> The Netgear switch is a fsm7326p PoE switch. Below is the current status
> of the PoE system (I removed the ones that are not using PoE). Now, I'm
> pretty sure this equipment is on it's own breaker, it used to house most
> of our co-lo equipment before we moved it to another office. Mainly I'm
> providing this information in case there is something that is a miss
> that maybe I am over looking that you may clearly see being a problem.

The switch doesn't look overloaded as far as power goes.  Is it on a
UPS or plugged straight into building power?  You could still be
having brown-outs that would cause some, ports to drop below
acceptable voltage.  Make sure the switch is on a good UPS to
eliminate this as a possibility.

>  From a sniff point of view..where would the best place to sniff in your
> opinion? From the Asterisk server or from somewhere within our office,
> or both?

Mirror the switch port going to the router on the LAN side and sniff
there for broadcast storm/viruses/congestion.

Sniff the WAN side of the router to seek congestion on the DS3.

What is the router utilization, how many open NAT translations, is the
router over loaded, has your traffic increased over last several
months?

> Also, I have combed through the configuration files enough to where I
> may be overlooking something, is there anything in the configuration
> that you could think of that may cause the problems?

The only configuration is qualify=yes and nat=yes.  If the network is
routed between the phones and the PBX and not NATed, set nat=no and
qualify=no and see how that works.

You mentioned this started happening 3 months ago, what happened then?
 Network changes, equipment changes, traffic increased, new users
(downloading allot during the day, surfing porn), wireless
interference?

Good luck.

--
Thanks.