[asterisk-users] Any reason to *not* use AEL? (Also, MixMonitor q)

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Tue Jun 3 11:52:24 CDT 2008

Andrew Kohlsmith (lists) wrote:
> On June 3, 2008 09:21:48 am Jay Moore wrote:
>> I am building a new Asterisk server here at the office, and I'm
>> wondering if there are any downsides to creating my dialplan with AEL.
>> It seems more intuitive (to me), but I'm not sure if there are any
>> pitfalls I need to be aware of first.
>
> Community support is the big one.  Personally I think AEL's a solution looking
> for a problem.  Ask Leif Madsen about what he can make a standard dialplan
> do.  :-)

Oh, I think AEL is a great idea.  I expect we will start migrating our
macros into AEL when we upgrade to 1.6 (maybe 6 mo - 1 yr from now).
I'll start with our extensive, spaghetti code macros.  I doubt we will
ever migrate *everything* to AEL, no need to with the way we have our
extensions.conf setup.  i.e.  Set channel variables, run macro.

--
Consulting for Asterisk, Polycom, Sangoma, Digium, Cisco, LAN, WAN, QoS,
T-1, PRI, Frame Relay, Linux, and network design.  Based near