[asterisk-users] Trouble with Polycom phones

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at mercury.net
Tue Jun 3 10:37:43 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I have been running into a few issues with Asterisk/polycom and I am
running out of ideas. This problem has been ongoing for the last couple
of weeks. I will try to be as detailed as I can, but I might leave out a
few details. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Our setup: Asterisk 1.2.22, Fedora 4. Co-located to our PRI providers
facility. Comes to us via a DS3 to our other co-lo, then is sent via
wireless to our office. We also have another office in another state but
the connection is pretty much identical (they may have different
wireless equipment) except the path it takes.

About 3 weeks ago, our phones started to reboot randomly. Sometimes
within 5 minutes, and sometimes up to an hour, but they were pretty
consistent, and it didn't matter if the agent was on the phone or not.
Asterisk would only tell me that the phones were not reachable, which
clearly was the case since it was rebooting. At the time, they were
running I think SIP version 1.6.6. However, the odd factor to that, was
the office in the other state was not having this problem (running
1.6.6) and my phone and my supervisors (which we were testing SIP 2.2.2).

After having our phone company test the DS3, there were some errors
found, and correct and that solved the problem for a few days. Which of
course, it started to happen again. However, this time there were no
errors on the DS3, and again the same problems were occurring, but my
phone, my supervisors, and the other states were fine. So I decided to
upgrade all of the phones to version 2.2.2. So that at least solved the
reboot problem, but I ran into another problem.

Now, the phones lose their registration with Asterisk. My bosses phone
does it every time he receives a voicemail. Most people can go a few
hours without having to restart, but then sooner or later, it loses its
registration. From what I can tell, there are no errors in Asterisk, no
errors in the logs from the phones booting. I can even ping the phones
from the asterisk box when this happens, but they just won't re-reg with
the system. Now my phone has been up almost 3 days now, but other phones
are still having this problem. Also the phones in the other state are
not having this problem AND are still on 1.6.6.

Anyone have any suggestions on something to look at, test, try, etc? I'm
completely stumped.

Thanks,
Kevin