[asterisk-users] Any reason to *not* use AEL? (Also, MixMonitor q)

Sherwood McGowan sherwood.mcgowan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 09:03:16 CDT 2008

Jay Moore wrote:
> I am building a new Asterisk server here at the office, and I'm
> wondering if there are any downsides to creating my dialplan with AEL.
> It seems more intuitive (to me), but I'm not sure if there are any
> pitfalls I need to be aware of first.
>
> We use this for internal extensions, 8 pots lines, and our answering
> service which gets about 500 incoming calls a day down our T1.
>
> Also, one more quick question too:  Currently I'm using MixMonitor to
> record incoming calls.  The problem, however, is once calls are
> transferred, recording stops.  Is it possible to keep recording after a
> call is transferred, and if so, how?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jay

I use AEL in almost everything I do and work a lot with Steve Murphy to
work out any issues I have found with it. In Asterisk 1.4 AEL is VERY
solid. The only thing you need to watch for is falling into some basic
"traps" like calling ${EXTEN} from within a switch (the AEL compiler
uses sw-xxxx extensions for case instances).  In order to easier see
what the compiler puts out, I asked Steve to add the -w option to
AELPARSE which writes a file (extensions.conf.aeldump) which is . much
easier to read than doing a "dialplan show [context]".

Anyway, I'll be more than happy to help with any issues you may have
with AEL. I'm even working on writing a little book or at least series
of articles on AEL

--
Sherwood McGowan
VoIP / Telecom Solutions