[asterisk-users] G.722 over ISDN PRI/BRI

Simon Hyde simon at icedrop.net
Tue Jun 3 04:50:02 CDT 2008

Hi,

G.722 is heavily used by Broadcasters worldwide for wideband voice
communications over ISDN. I'd like to be able to receive these G.722 over ISDN
calls into an Asterisk exchange (with mostly a view to routing the calls to a
Voicemail box where material can be recorded). I have been examining source
code for the 3 different ISDN Channels in Asterisk and they all seem to be hard-
codec to aLaw/uLaw G.711. It looks as though chan_capi *might* support bridging
of G.722 data from one ISDN port to another, but not routing to any other
source/transcoding/passing to voicemail.

So I guess my question is, am I correct in the belief that all Asterisk's ISDN
channels currently don't support anything other than G.711? How easy would it
be to extend one of the ISDN channels to support G.722?

Cheers,

Simon