[asterisk-users] Require a Type 102 milliwatt number

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jun 2 10:30:12 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 08:22:05AM -0500, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On May 29, 2008, at 8:07 AM, Drew Gibson wrote:
> > Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> >> A fairly reasonable argument can actually be made in that direction.
> >>
> >> If you can't keep the tray tables clean of coffee stains, how can we
> >> trust you to get the engine maintenance right?  (-- Tom Peters)
> >
> > Ooooooh! A dreadful quote!
> >
> > Good engineers don't care about "tray tables", they care about engine
> > maintenance. They put the effort into what they care about, they don't
> > waste it on a manager's shallow perception of reality!
>
> I can't believe this conversation has degraded to this point.  How
> ridiculous ...

That, itself, is the sort of attack you continue to decry.

> Milliwatt in Asterisk is incorrect.  Tilghman pointed out the
> available workaround, which is to use Playtones.
>
> Fixing the source is trivial!  All we have to do is make Milliwatt use
> Playtones internally.  It will take a little bit more CPU resources,
> because it is generating the tone on the fly instead of reading it
> from memory, but who cares?
>
> This change will take me about 10 minutes.  I'll do it today.  If you
> want to make sure I don't forget, put it on bugs.digium.com to be safe.
>
> Now, please stop the insanity.

There are many decaffeinated brands that are *just* as flavorful,
Russell.  Really.  :-)

But the fundamental point is still a valid one: it's amazing what
potential paying customers will choose to base their perceptions -- and
their choices about expenditure -- upon.  You ignore your reputation at
your own peril.  You're permitted not to fix it, even if your reason is
only "it's pretty far down our priority list".

You are *not* permitted to lose your temper and blow people off in
public.  *You* *are* posting from a digium.com email address.  You're
on duty.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.