[asterisk-users] New faxing protocol. Good/Bad ?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Jun 1 18:34:47 CDT 2008

Dovid B wrote:
> Hi List,
> I was thinking the other day that even with T.38 there are still some
> issues with faxing. I was thinking of a protocol that instead of just
> sending down the fax tones an ATA or "VOIP fax machine" would get the
> entire fax convert it into some sort of image and pass it down the
> line to the receiving end. I got the idea from RFC2833. Yes I know
> that fax machines send bit by bit and get a conformation on it but
> maybe this would work a bit better. Send the entire "image" over and
> then get a response when it is done. This way if there is issues along
> the way the packets can be re-sent with out any issue.
>
> Dovid
> (Cross posted to Biz for those that aren't on the users list - I want
> their onion too ;) ).
First, go look at what T.38 actually does (you don't seem to understand
that). Then think about why it has been made so clumsy (there is a
reason). Then look at T.37, and see if that better suits your needs.

T.38 is a terrible woolly document, and someone should be spanked for
it. However, the basic scheme it implements exists for valid reasons.
The key reason being the specified timing and timeouts of the T.30
compliant FAX machines it needs to support.

Steve