[asterisk-users] sip registration timeout/expiration

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 08:55:07 CDT 2008

Hi,

If I set maxexpirey=60 in sip.conf and also set a "registration timeout=60" on client software, doesn't this mean that the SIP user (an ATA connected phone) should be "forced" to re-register every minute?

If I look at the CLI when the SIP user registers I do see a statement regarding a 60 second timeout. However, after 1 minute I don't "see" it unregister and register again (debug is on).

I'm asking this because in my LAN I have a DNS server which is dynamically updated (via a script) with both A and SRV records with very short TTLs.
The idea is that the LAN SIP clients (both softphones and ATA-connected phones) switch from one failing (or "down for maintenance") server to another active box.
This part seems to work fine. However, I'm having trouble getting the SIP registrations back to the first server when the latter is back on-line. The only way I found to do this within a minute is to kill asterisk on box 2 and all accounts will register on box 1 (even if the 5-second-TTL A records have been updated and/or the SRV entries give box1 a much higher priority).

How can I make them "move" to box 1 without bringing down box 2?

It seems as though "maxexpirey" is not taken into account. The extensions will stay on box 2 and will move to box 1 only if:
- box 2 dies
- or I wait around 30 minutes (I don't what this timeout could be)

I've tried it on Asterisk 1.4.21.2 and 1.2.30.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Vieri