[asterisk-users] Newbie in China: Red alaram in Zaptel for E1

Lee, John (Sydney) John.Lee at compuware.com
Thu Jul 31 02:36:14 CDT 2008

> if after you tried both straight through & crossover cables and
> it still give you RED alarm. just tell them you can't get any
> clocking signal. they'll probably send someone on site and test
> the line.

Yes, I tried all sorts of cables and ended up getting the local contact
to complain to NETCOM.  An engineer came and swapped the "Fast Ethernet
to E1" converter.
Now we use a normal RJ45 cable to connect the converter to TE412P card.
The lights turns green but changes to yellow and green again.
dmesg shows a continuous stream of:

wct4xxp: Clearing yellow alarm on span 1
wct4xxp: Setting yellow alarm on span 1
timing source auto card 0!
timing source auto card 0!
wct4xxp: Clearing yellow alarm on span 1
wct4xxp: Setting yellow alarm on span 1
timing source auto card 0!
timing source auto card 0!
wct4xxp: Clearing yellow alarm on span 1
wct4xxp: Setting yellow alarm on span 1
timing source auto card 0!
timing source auto card 0!
wct4xxp: Clearing yellow alarm on span 1
wct4xxp: Setting yellow alarm on span 1
timing source auto card 0!
timing source auto card 0!
wct4xxp: Clearing yellow alarm on span 1

...and I am using the following in zaptel.conf

span=1,1,0,ccs,hdb3,crc4
bchan=1-15,17-31
dchan=16

... I have changed the timing source from 1 to 0 to 2 but it doesn't
make any difference.

Any thoughts?

> p.s. note that T1/E1 crossover cable pin out is not the same
> as ethernet crossover cable.

Do you mean RJ48?