[asterisk-users] Newbie in China: Red alaram in Zaptel for E1

Lee, John (Sydney) John.Lee at compuware.com
Tue Jul 29 22:07:08 CDT 2008

> i've installed several Asterisk systems in Shanghai & Beijing.

Thanks Edwin.
The remote site is in Shanghai and NETCOM is the telco.
Do you know if their E1 line is MFC/R2 or EuroISDN?

> red alarm usually means there's no clocking signal.
> check all your cables (crossover vs straight through)

As far as the cable goes, this is a bit complicated.  The way it works
is the telco delivers a fibre optic cable to the floor and the fibre
terminates on a fibre optic multiplexer.  Then the multiplexer is
connected to a Fast Ethernet to E1 converter which has a RJ45 port.  We
then connect this RJ45 port to the TE412P port.

Anyway what you said is still a good point - I will try replacing the
straight through cable with a crossover and give it a go.

> if the cable's good. call phone company and complain.
> in my experience 9 out of 10 time we have to call
> phone company and complain.

How should we complain?  Are there any technical details we need to show
them?  It is a different country though.