[asterisk-users] Newbie in China: Red alaram in Zaptel for E1

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Jul 29 05:56:23 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 05:55:05PM +1000, Lee, John (Sydney) wrote:
> > The test for that is simple:
> >
> >   head -n 1 /proc/zaptel/*
> >
> > Let's look at all four spans. Not just the first one.
>
> Thanks Tzafrir.
>
> # head -n 1 /proc/zaptel/*
> ==> /proc/zaptel/1 <==
> Span 1: TE4/0/1 "T4XXP (PCI) Card 0 Span 1" (MASTER) HDB3/ RED

It is RED. It means that no either there is no physical connection to
the remote side, or otherwise both sides don't agree on the definitions.

> ==> /proc/zaptel/2 <==
> Span 2: TE4/0/2 "T4XXP (PCI) Card 0 Span 2"
>
> ==> /proc/zaptel/3 <==
> Span 3: TE4/0/3 "T4XXP (PCI) Card 0 Span 3"
>
> ==> /proc/zaptel/4 <==
> Span 4: TE4/0/4 "T4XXP (PCI) Card 0 Span 4"

Those three were not configuerd (have no span= entries in zaptel.conf, I
guess) so we have no idea if anything is plugged into them.

> So I am quite sure that port 1 is plugged in properly.
>
> As I am dealing with telecom in China, I think I might have stepped onto
> the MFC R/2 "bombshell" but I have no idea whether the signalling is
> ISDN or R2.

Or, to phrase it in layer 1 terms: CAS (for MFC/R2) or CCS (for ISDN)?

We're staying in layer 1 for the moment because the issue is the RED
alarm.

> I tried the suggestion on
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+MFC+R2 but the red alarm is
> still on.

An output of 'head -n 1 /proc/zaptel/*' after the fact might help us help
you. Did you re-run ztcfg after editing zaptel.conf ?

> If it is really R2, then maybe I need to buy an E100P card instead of
> TE412P.

The TE412P supports R2 just as well.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen