[asterisk-users] How to ask good questions (was: Re: announcement server using asterisk)

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Mon Jul 28 17:28:57 CDT 2008

Al Baker schrieb:
> Quote "
>
> Recently I discovered a cool new site called "Google".
> They have lots of information about ISDN cards.  :-P
>
> Grüße,
> Philipp Kempgen"
>

> Yes - There is also a lot of bogus, incorrect, crap.
> His question was  fair, on-topic, politely asked and as such hardly deserves to be
> made fun off

Making fun of it was not my intention.

But:
http://www.gerv.net/hacking/how-to-ask-good-questions/ :

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before :

> When you ask your question, display the fact that you have done
> these things first; this will help establish that you're not
> being a lazy sponge and wasting people's time. Better yet,
> display what you have learned from doing these things. We like
> answering questions for people who have demonstrated they can
> learn from the answers.

So for example
"Are there any PRI cards for laptops? (PCMCIA slot) All I found
were BRI cards."
is a lot better than
- "Are there any ISDN cards for laptops?"
- "Yes. PCMCIA slot?"
- "Yes."
- "BRI? PRI?"
- "PRI."
- ...

And last but not least I just _have_ to post things like "Google",
"learn.to/quote" etc. from time to time. Of course it doesn't
help but it makes me feel better.  :-)

Grüße,
Philipp Kempgen
--