[asterisk-users] OT - How to test tftp for phones provisioning

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Jul 27 12:27:24 CDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 11:00:51AM +0200, Olivier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't understand why a SIP hardphone can't provision itself using tftp.
> I'm very suspicious about my tftp daemon but I lack basic knowledge of Linux
> CLI to pinpoint what's going wrong and separate what belongs to SIP phone
> configuration from what comes from tftp server.
>
> What I would like to do is to add a given file in current /srv/tftp
> directory and test by hand that tftpd would serve this file when asked.
>
> Googling and reading man pages, I could find command that starts tftp server
> but I couldn't find any command asking for a given file (please, note I
> don't imply such commands don't exist but maybe, some more general network
> tools (netcat, ...) are the one to use for basic tftp testing).

First and foremost,

  netstat -lup | grep tftp

or (probably faster):

  netstat -lnup | grep 69

This will show you the name of the process that listens on the standard
TFTP (UDP) port, if any.

Debian includes 3 (or maybe 4) tftp servers:

tftpd - Old and probably less maintained version
tftpd-hpa - A newer version. Slightly larger but this is probably the
            one to use.
atftpd - Yet another tftpd. Likewise, better than tftpd .

Both atftpd and tftpd-hpa can run either as stand-alone daemons or from
inetd. Check /etc/default/<package-name> and the docs directory for the
details. IIRC the scripts of the package already run update-inetd for
you.

Another option is to use dnsmasq. If you already happen to use it as a
DNS and/or DHCP server, then you might have noticed the extra TFTP
serving it has added in its latest versions. It only supports read-only
access. But you don't really want to support that insecure tftp upload,
right?

Logs from all the above go to /var/log/daemon.log .

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com