[asterisk-users] OT - How to test tftp for phones provisioning

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Sun Jul 27 04:00:51 CDT 2008

Hi,

I don't understand why a SIP hardphone can't provision itself using tftp.
I'm very suspicious about my tftp daemon but I lack basic knowledge of Linux
CLI to pinpoint what's going wrong and separate what belongs to SIP phone
configuration from what comes from tftp server.

What I would like to do is to add a given file in current /srv/tftp
directory and test by hand that tftpd would serve this file when asked.

Googling and reading man pages, I could find command that starts tftp server
but I couldn't find any command asking for a given file (please, note I
don't imply such commands don't exist but maybe, some more general network
tools (netcat, ...) are the one to use for basic tftp testing).

So let's say, you've got :
a perfectly running tftp server somewhere on your LAN,
it holds foo.txt file in its /srv/tftp directory.

Which command could you type in for a LAN workstation to receive this
foo.txt ?

Regards

PS1: I'm using Debian etch
PS2: With nestat -a, I've got this :

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local address          Remote address        Status
udp        0      0 *:tftp                  *:*

So, I think my tftp daemon is not listening but that's another topic.