[asterisk-users] Implementing an Asterisk Server behinda MeridianNorstar

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri Jul 25 04:17:51 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<JCasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>>The migration does not have to happen all at once, you can take it
>>slow, make it invisible to the end user, start using VoIP trunks and
>>all that Asterisk has to offer, and have a super flexible migration
>>path.
>
> Steve,
> Lots of good info! So if I put a T1 card in an Asterisk Server, and a T1 card in the Norstar
> How does a user on the Norstar dial "221" and reach a voip only user connected to asterisk via
> ip only? That assumes as you mentioned new users are added as voip users in the future?
>
> Thanks!
> jlc

For simplicity sake, I usually suggest going from a three digit
dialplan to a four on the Asterisk box (that does not conflict with
any routes on your legacy system.  So for a recent Merlin Magix,
people kept the same extension, the 300 range but for migrated or new
extensions we added a 5XXX so if their exten was 301 it would become
5301.

There are other ways of doing it, but I find that more simple than
messing with the legacy system's settings very much.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro