[asterisk-users] IP door opening devices

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Jul 24 05:17:23 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:25:34AM +0100, Chris Bagnall wrote:
> Greetings list,
>
> We have a client with an analogue door intercom/opening unit which
> we're attempting to replace with an IP variant. The existing unit
> has the following functionality:
>
> 1) Intercom - visitor hits "call", talks to operator
> 2) Door opening - operator can open the door by dialling a 4-digit
>    PIN followed by * (the door unit interprets the DTMF tones)
> 3) Door opening - the door unit has a numeric keypad to enable
>    approved persons to enter by entering the 4-digit PIN on the keypad

What would it take to move the logic into Asterisk?

(1) is naturally trivial. As for sending the actual signal to open and
close the door: that may take a separate out-of-band operation. e.g.
System(/usr/sbin/open-sesame)

But what about typing the PIN?

"Hello, you have reached Treasure Cave Inc. If you know the access code,
dial it now. If not, press 0 for the operator."

The point is to separate communication from door opening. Both are
different problems to solve. I'm not sure you will gain much by
bundeling them together.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com