[asterisk-users] Implementing an Asterisk Server behind a MeridianNorstar

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Jul 23 17:52:14 CDT 2008

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> Well, I am not sure what is needed to interface between the two. I hoped
> there was something you could use and from the sounds of it, its not worth
> it. I guess the only thing I would need is a small switch in each office
> then as we only have one run of cat-5e to each office.

The company I think John was referring to is Citel, and they do make
gateways that translate between legacy digital PBXs and SIP.  But I
would tend to agree that the cost isn't worth it, nor does it provide a
permanent solution.

How big is this installation?  Depending on the number of seats, you
could probably get additional, upgraded cabling done to each office and
buy handsets, and still make off with less cost than you would trying to
adapt the Meridian--quite imperfectly, at that.

> Do they make phones with a gig switch in them? I am told there are phones
> with 100meg switches in them?

Not as far as I know, since a desktop application PC is the
highest-bandwidth device manufacturers assume anyone would want to
uplink through a phone.

Although, oddly enough, a lot of them can do VLAN trunking, etc.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems