[asterisk-users] 3-way calling for IAX channels

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 12:17:26 CDT 2008

2008/7/23 MFH <asterisk-admin at hulber.com>:
> Noah Miller wrote:
>> Hi Daniel -
>>

>>> How can I made a 3-way conference betwwen IAX channels?
>>> My current version is: 1.4.21.1
>>>

>> Anytime you need a call with more than 2 parties, you need to use some
>> kind of conferencing application.  The "default" conference
>> application for asterisk is meetme. You can use meetme with any kind
>> of channels (IAX, SIP, MGCP, ZAP/Dahdi, etc).  Just use the meetme()
>> application in extensions.conf, and create your conference rooms in
>> meetme.conf
>>
> Asterisk supports conferencing without using meetme.  In this case you
> don't have a central dial in number but a single extension can initiate
> the conference call.  Generally this is done the same way as with
> traditional PSTN service which is that while on a call between two
> parties, flash the line, dial out to the third party then flash again
> and all the parties should be connected.

I believe that response is slightly misleading - "Asterisk" does not
support conferencing without using meetme, but Zaptel/DAHDI will
emulate the PSTN flash/recall facility which looks a bit like a
conference. In SIP, IAX, and I believe all other non Zaptel/DAHDI
channel types, the endpoint must manage the equivalent of a PSTN
flash/recall conference.

Anything cross-channel or otherwise more complex does indeed require
app_meetme. Given that the OP was referring to IAX, I believe they
will need app_meetme.

Of course I could be wrong :)
Steve