[asterisk-users] queue members randomly become paused after upgrade to Asterisk 1.4

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Wed Jul 23 09:30:11 CDT 2008

Giorgio Incantalupo wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I assure my queues.conf is full of autopause = no, in the singles and
> general contexts (I'm not sure where to put it 'cause I found no docs
> about it).
> Moreover, this morning I checked my Asterisk with "show queues" and I
> found another surprise:
>
>       SIP/17 with penalty 1 (paused) (Not in use) has taken no calls yet
>       SIP/50 with penalty 1 (paused) (Unavailable) has taken no calls yet
>
> How can an unavailable phone (it is not connected on LAN) be paused???
> So I wonder...what is the rule that makes a phone "paused", then?

The "paused" logic resides fully within the Queue application. For static
members, the only way to pause is if autopause is enabled or if the member is
manually paused either through the dialplan or manager. Autopause takes effect
whenever the queue attempts to ring a member and is unsuccessful. Since you have
autopause=no in your queues.conf file, then autopause should not occur on the
phones at all.

In a further effort to debug the problem, you can check both your console logs
and the queue_log to see if there are any messages about the members becoming
paused. By the way, I don't think it's come up yet, but which version of 1.4 are
you using? If you're not using the latest release, it may be worth it to try
using it to see if the same behavior occurs.

> Another thing I do not understand...when I restart Asterisk, my bunch of
> disconnected phones have different status....IAX phones are marked with
> Invalid while SIP are marked with Unavailable...why? What's the difference?
> The mystery goes on....

The status reported comes from the device state subsystem. Regarding the IAX
channels being marked "Invalid," this most likely comes from the fact that
app_queue.so is being loaded before chan_iax2.so, meaning that at the time that
app_queue checks the device state of those IAX channels, the channel driver has
not loaded and so the device state system reports those channels as "Invalid."
When the phones undergo some state change, or if you issue a "module reload
chan_iax2.so" when the phones are "Invalid" they will most likely change to the
proper state. A better solution is to edit modules.conf to force app_queue.so to
load after chan_iax2.so.

The SIP phones reporting "Unavailable" happens most likely because you have a
"qualify" setting in sip.conf, which causes the phones to be "Unavailable" until
qualify determines that the phone is available.

> Ah..I forgot to say I do not use agents but only static queues, no real
> time stuff.
>
> Giorgio

Mark Michelson