[asterisk-users] Cisco vs Asterisk

Jason Aarons (US) jason.aarons at us.didata.com
Tue Jul 22 15:08:29 CDT 2008

I haven't used Asterisk Voicemail but here are Unity Unified Messaging (for Exchange) 5.x/7.x features, in short I think you need to be a Callmanager/Exchange Server shop with heavy integration with ActiveSync/Direct Push/Outlook 2007/OCS2007. The company that created Unity (Active Voice) was a bunch of ex-microsoft guys. If you are not a enterprise/campus or prefer IMAP/SMTP then I don't think you would see any benefits or ROI. I don't think just hanging Unity Voicemail Only off a Asterisk box would be of much value.

I like AVST CallXpress  http://www.avst.com/products/callxpressMessaging/ for smaller customers.

Unity Unified Messaging (for Exchange) 5.x/7.x
 Using Exchange Administrator it reads/writes directly to Exchange Message Store (not IMAP or SMTP)
 Phone View (listen to message as callers leave them, control message on Cisco 79xx phone LCD screen)
 Windows Mobile/Blackberry intergration (has Blackberry plug-in)
 Single number for fax/T38
 Speech Connect (reply to voicemails via Speech to Text or have them read Text to Speech)
 Mailbox greetings based on Calendar Integration
 Unity Digital Networking for multiple sites being able to send each other messages

There are flash videos and datasheets here;
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/index.html

Now I will go read the Wiki and see how Asterik handles Voicemail....

Note there are several version of Unity (Unity Unified Messaging (with Echange), Unity Unified Messaging (with Domino), Unity Connection 2.x, Unity Unified Express). I choose the version with the most integration with Exchange to discuss here.