[asterisk-users] Cisco vs Asterisk

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Jul 22 12:32:08 CDT 2008

voip crazy wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> A client of us, is thinking to migrate their actual PBX to a Cisco
> CallManager. We want to sell him an asterisk box to complement the
> Cisco PBX.
> I think to use asterisk as a Voicemail server (Replazing the Cisco Unity)
>
> Has asterisk all the functionalities to replace a CIsco Unity server?
> Which functionalities Cisco Unity has than asterisk could cover?
> How could asterisk complement the Cisco Call Manager funcionalities?

I don't know that any OSS piece ever has *all* the features of a
proprietary platform, especially since a lot of those features tend to
be very esoteric and designed to complement the vendor's other service
platform and handset gear.

The question is:

1. What are you trying to do?

2. Can Asterisk do it?

3. Can Asterisk do it well?

4. Can Asterisk do it at the scale, volume and scope you're looking for?

The question is NOT:

1. Is Asterisk basically like a free version of CallManager?

2. Can Asterisk duplicate CallManager?

-- Alex

Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems