[asterisk-users] OSLEC vs HPEC vs Octasic

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon Jul 21 06:30:09 CDT 2008

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Loic Didelot wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to figure out which soft echo canceller I could use.
>
> There is OSLEC, HPEC from Digium and Octware from Octasic. I have
> problems to find details about their CPU needs. Can anyone share his
> experience. What CPU and Memory is required for 2,4,8 and 16 channels?
>
> Any help is appreciated.

I switched to OSLEC after testing HPEC on TDM400 boards, and found that it
worked much better and wasn't limited to the restricted mechanism Digium
uses for licensing (unlikely as it sounds, I have some clients who do not
have a connection to the public Internet, and never will for their phone
system)

It also passes the wife test which HPEC didn't.

It's also free (OS as in Open Source), which HPEC isn't, although that
wasn't my primary reason for using it - ease of use and "workability" was.

As far as CPU usage is concerned, OSLEC gave me the tools to find that out
- I didn't find any such tools with HPEC, but they might be there
somewhere.

On one of my production PBXs - a 1GHz VIA processor, 128KB cache, OSLEC
can do the following: (running their own speedtest program)

Testing OSLEC with 128 taps (16 ms tail)
CPU executes 996.06 MIPS
-------------------------

Method 1: gettimeofday() at start and end
   268 ms for 10s of speech
   26.69 MIPS
   37.31 instances possible at 100% CPU load
Method 2: samples clock cycles at start and end
   26.69 MIPS
   37.31 instances possible at 100% CPU load
Method 3: samples clock cycles for each call, IIR average
   cycles_worst 186709 cycles_last 43447 cycles_av: 4272
   34.18 MIPS
   29.15 instances possible at 100% CPU load

So at worst, it's saying it can handle 29 incarnations, and at best, 37 -
that's assuming no other CPU load such as transcoding.

So it's well capable of handing your requirements of 16 channels - more-so
if you're using a "server" class box, and not the "embedded" type systems
I'm using here.

(On my dev box, an older 2GHz Celeron, 128KB cache, it's telling me it can
do 120 incarnations, and on a 2.4GHz Xeon with 4MB cache, it said it could
do 321)

Gordon