[asterisk-users] MagicJack quality

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Jul 17 11:20:53 CDT 2008

Dean Collins wrote:
> 1/ R&D costs v's number of units manafactured per annum.

The only business phone I ever contributed to had a run rate of about
500K/annum and a production life of multiple years (not sure how many it
lasted for). I put some (at the time) exotic DSP into a high end
product, so I assume the run of the mill business phones are made in
much larger numbers. Consumer makers would consider that pretty good
volume for a single design.

What you have to consider when comparing business phones to consumer
products is the huge number of people making consumer audio, and the
small number making business phones (pretty much the PBX makers, and few
others).
> 2/ Retail pricing the markets will still purchase at.

IP phones aren't currently a runaway success outside the business world,
so they appear to be rather more expensive than the mass market will bear.

Steve