[asterisk-users] MagicJack quality

Kristian Kielhofner kkielhofner at star2star.com
Thu Jul 17 10:34:30 CDT 2008

On 7/17/08, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:

> That is certainly true. Many of the comments people make about codecs
>  owe more to the phone than the codec. However, there are various types
>  of impairment. Even a phone which doesn't sound nearly as good as it
>  could in G.711 mode may still sound much better in wideband mode.
>
>  A typical $200 business desk phone costs more than a typical mini-Hi Fi
>  set that has a lot more complex bits in it, and sounds fantastic by
>  comparison. Basically  business desk phones are a swindle.
>

>  Steve

Do tell!

  Could someone please explain to me why business desk phones are so
expensive?  I'm not knocking my friends over at Polycom, Snom, or any
other manufacturer but in some cases you can buy a cheap but usable
laptop for less than you can buy a phone.  What gives?

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://blog.krisk.org