[asterisk-users] Specifying a different codec for meetme

Artie Gold agold at f4winc.com
Thu Jul 17 08:17:03 CDT 2008

Right. I fully understand that. The preference for g.711 in this case is
that the transcoding is significantly cheaper  (as reflected in the
information obtained from "core show translation").

Thanks,
--ag

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:45 AM, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com>
wrote:

> Artie Gold wrote:
> > Is there some way to specify the use of a different codec (in this case,
> > g.711 vs. g.729) for use with meetme?
> > We have found that in the meetme case, with the necessity of
> > decompression and recompression, it's worth it to us to use g.711 (use
> > the bandwidth and save the processor) as opposed to the general case
> > where g.729 outperforms.
>
> As you've already been told in other responses, it is not possible to
> mix audio without decompressing into signed linear (the simplest
> representation) first. MeetMe doesn't use G.711, it uses signed linear
> (well, this really happens in the Zaptel code that does the audio
> mixing, but the result is the same).
>
> --
> Kevin P. Fleming
> Director of Software Technologies
> Digium, Inc. - "The Genuine Asterisk Experience" (TM)

Artie Gold
F4W, Inc.