[asterisk-users] 1.4.21.1 SIP failing, requiring reboot

David Nedved david_nedved at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 01:15:39 CDT 2008

Hi All,

Experiencing frustrating SIP failures on 1.4.21.1.  Everything works fine, and then randomly after a week or so of use SIP just completely fails to talk to outside providers and nothing short of a reboot fixes it.

Symptoms:

- both of my SIP providers at the same time become unreachable.  Here is the most recent time it started from /var/log/asterisk/messages

[Jul 16 05:15:35] NOTICE[27073] chan_sip.c: Peer 'voipplanet' is now UNREACHABLE!  Last qualify: 15
[Jul 16 05:15:41] NOTICE[27073] chan_sip.c: Peer 'viatalk' is now UNREACHABLE!  Last qualify: 118
[Jul 16 05:16:59] NOTICE[27073] chan_sip.c:    -- Registration for 'XXXX at sip3.voipplanet.nl' timed out, trying again (Attempt #1)
[Jul 16 05:17:06] NOTICE[27073] chan_sip.c:    -- Registration for 'XXXXXXXXXX at newyork-1.vtnoc.net' timed out, trying again (Attempt #1)

and it goes on until I catch it... over 12 hours in this case (it's a very lightly used system)

- sip show peers shows them both as unreachable

- sip show registry shows them both as "request sent"

- internet connection is fine, I can still ping both servers

- reload sip does nothing

- restart asterisk does nothing

- reboot server and it's fine for another week or two

This is 1.4.21.1 on kernel 2.6.25 on a fully updated gentoo system.  The system is a proof-of-concept system, Asus board, core 2 duo, 2 GB RAM and extremely lightly loaded.  The two SIP providers are totally unrelated and actually on different continents.  Any ideas of what I can do to diagnose this problem further?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

David