[asterisk-users] Tracking Call Time While in Dial()

Grey Man greymanvoip at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 03:30:28 CDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:05 AM, Steve Edwards
<asterisk.org at sedwards.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, Douglas Garstang wrote:
>
>> The person I am working is building a calling card. They want to allow
>> the user to recharge their account when their time runs out (without
>> hanging up the current call). I got no idea how to implement that. In
>> addition, they don't want to charge the user for the time they spend
>> recharging their account. So, they need to track multiple timers for the
>> call.
>
> Would this work?
>
> Hack up meetme to add an option to time out after x seconds, set
> MEETME_STATUS to "TIMEOUT" and return to the dialplan. You can follow the
> "w" option to figure out how to pass the seconds. Then in meetme's main
> loop (in conf_run()), just check for when its time to leave.
>
> Use dial()'s G option to put both the caller (with the timeout) and the
> callee into a meetme.
>
> When the caller times out, the callee will hear the music on hold ("please
> wait until the other party returns").
>
> The caller can top up and then return to the meetme. You can accumulate
> the time the caller is in the meetme.
>
> What happens if the caller can't top up and hangs up. Who pays for the
> callee leg? Would you need a second timer to abort the callee?

Take a look at http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=6335.

Myself and KNK both implemented two different real-time call control
mechanisms for Asterisk but unfortunately the feature was not deemed
useful enough to make it into Asterisk :-(. The patches are available
though and can be applied if you really need the functionality.

Regards,

Greyman.