[asterisk-users] Asterisk PBX How-to Guide for Amazon EC2

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Jul 12 01:25:28 CDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 01:14:36AM +0100, Grey Man wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 7:50 PM, Ronald Lewis <groups at ronaldlewis.com> wrote:
> > I've just added a PREVIEW release of my upcoming how-to guide for Asterisk
> > PBX on EC2. It is based on months of testing and evaluating Asterisk on EC2.
> > It addresses all kinks and showstoppers that many people have experienced
> > over the past year or so. Because this is a preview, it is not the final
> > version of this guide. It is subject to change (format, copy, layout, etc.)
> >
> > To view and download this guide, please visit
> > http://ronaldlewis.com/2008/07/08/asterisk-pbx-on-amazon-ec2-how-to-guide-almost-complete/
> >
> > Please take this opportunity to test the guide and provide any feedback. The
> > official release is set for Wednesday, July 16 and will be available on
> > CloudCrunch.
> >

> There's already 4 public images on ec2 mentioning Asterisk in their
> names so wouldn't it be easier to try out one of those rather than
> install all the bits and pieces on a base Linux image?
>
> An interesting paper on ec2 and Asterisk would be one that discusses
> what the call quality is like from both inside and outside the US.
> When I briefy ran up an instance at this time last year it actually
> seemed ok.
>
> >From a provider's point of view running Asterisk on the ec2 cloud does
> pose some interesting questions. As a quick and dirty estimate if you
> assume one of the standard small ec2 instances could cope with 100
> simultaneous g711 calls (I don't know if that is the case just
> guessing) then you'll chew up approx. 2MB/s (you pay for bandwidth
> both ways). Assuming that you'd then have 1MB/s average to account for
> quite and busy call times then it would be 3.6GB/hour or 86.4GB/day.
> At the Amazon price of $0.10/GB that's $8.64/day or $260/month. The
> server instance will cost you $72/month so total cost for 100/calls
> per month is $332.
>
> A typical dedicated server for $300/month is roughly equivalent to an
> ec2 small instance and comes with 500GB of bandwidth/month which is
> only a fifth of what's required but you could probably get the extra
> 2TB/month thrown in for $32/month making the dedicated server and ec2
> prices the same.

Another option, especially for lighter loads, is a virtual server
instance. There are many providers who will provide you a Xen guest for
e.g. 20$ or 30$ a month. For a lighter load this should be more than
enough. Those normally come with a dedicated IP address. Support plans
vary greatly from one provider to another.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com