[asterisk-users] Diagnosing dropped calls...

Carlos Chavez cursor at telecomabmex.com
Thu Jul 10 16:19:00 CDT 2008

	I have a system that is driving me nuts.  My customer is running
Asterisk 1.4.20.1 on a CentOS 5.2 server.  It is a purely SIP and IAX2
service with no cards installed and it uses ztdummy from Zaptel 1.4.11.
They use Teliax for calls to the USA and Protel for calls in Mexico.

	The problem is that users complain that their calls get dropped.
Sometimes every few minutes and sometimes after a very long call over
two hours so there is no clear pattern.  There is a very strange
behavior when some of the calls are dropped.  Some of these users call a
conference bridge, when their calls get dropped they will immediately
dial back and be connected to the same conference without having to put
in their PIN numbers, as if the call just dropped on their phones but
Asterisk kept the channel open and then reconnected the phone.  Some
others redial to the same conference and when they log in they realize
that their old call is still active and it gets dropped after a few
minutes.

	I am having a big problem trying to diagnose why the calls get dropped.
I do not know if it is the phones, Asterisk or the VoIP provider.  What
tools would you use to determine the cause of the disconnection?

Carlos Chávez Prats
Director de Tecnología
+52-55-91169161 ext 2001