[asterisk-users] Asterisk as an IVR solution

Douglas Garstang dougmig33 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 10 13:12:07 CDT 2008

Admittedly I have not used the ExternalIVR app. Is it any good?

I'm not sure I agree that Asterisk is GOOD for building IVR's. Sure, it can do it, but boy it is UGLY. There's also the fact that you can't call Backgound() in a macro, which forces you to use Read() which won't accept a timeout of <1s. There's no DTMF background detection while playing SayDigits so you have to roll your own by calling an external AGI and concatenating sound files. Yuck. By the time you code in logic for handling timeouts and incorrect responses to menu's with all the gotos and what-not, it turns into a god aweful mess.

Sure, you can do it.

Doug.