[asterisk-users] READ application

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Jul 9 12:02:52 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 09 July 2008 09:08:50 John Millican wrote:
> Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong or why the Read application
> does not accept the # key as input?  My read statement:
> exten => s,n,Read(uchoice|thankyouforcalling|3||1|1);
>
> In the prompt thankyouforcalling it says press pound for a company
> directory along with some press this digit for blah blah.  If the caller
> presses # the read applications exits and says that the user entered
> nothing. Really strange that the app hears the DTMF, since it stops the
> prompt, but does nothing with it.  Is it because Read exits with a #
> terminated string so it sees ## and just ignores it?
> If this is the case then maybe Background is the answer. But I am unable
> to get Background to accept more than a single digit and I need to be
> able to grab up to 3 digits or the # key.  My background statement:
> exten => s,n,Background(thankyouforcalling|m||macro-jm-closed)
> I have tried this wityh and with out the m option, same results.
>
> Both of these are run in a macro.

Anything running in a Macro matches new extensions in the place where the
Macro was called from.  Background always matches new extensions, as opposed
to Read, which collects DTMF for a variable.  If Background is only matching
single-digit extensions, then you only have single-digit extensions in the
calling context.

--
Tilghman