[asterisk-users] Distinctive Ring for SIP?

Steve astuser at braingia.org
Tue Jul 8 19:04:31 CDT 2008

Hello,

I've done a bit of research, though obviously in the wrong places.  :)
I'm looking to set up some type of distinctive ring for SIP phones based
on the context in which the SIP phone is being called from.  If that
sounds confusing it isn't.

I have two FXOs connected to POTS, so in essence a caller could be
dialing us at one of two phone numbers.  Each of those FXOs has its own
context in extensions.conf.  The contexts essentially grab the incoming
call and ring a bunch of single line SIP phones.  If no one answers then
the call is sent to voicemail depending on the number that the caller
dialed.  The problem is that when the SIP phones ring, there's no way
for us humans to tell which number the caller actually dialed.

My initial thought was to make some type of distinctive ring to the SIP
phones to indicate which number the caller dialed, much in the same way
that the telco does it when someone has the distintive ring service.

Another idea would be to set the callerid on the SIP phones to indicate
which line was dialed.  The drawback there is that we lose the incoming
callerid from POTS.  Maybe set one of line of the callerid to the
incoming line and leave the other as the callerid number?

Does anyone have experience with setting distinctive ring in SIP in such
a way?

Steve