[asterisk-users] New Polycom SpectraLink 8002 Wifi SIP Handset

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Sun Jul 6 10:27:22 CDT 2008

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 11:03:58 -0400, Dean Collins wrote:

>Considering warehousing, manufacturing and large onsite corporate usage
>is the primary target focus of DECT telephony it ,makes sense that
>Polycom are steering their 8002 handset into this space.
>
>Regards,

Yes, the question of DECT vs VoWifi is an interesting one on many
levels. We've all thought about voice+data convergence, but then comes
the questions of where, when & how? DECT & wifi can co-exist if
desired. In some cases there may be advantage to establishing &
supporting only one type of infrastructure. If we presume that they
need wireless data throughout a facility then Wifi comes out on top,
and VoWifi may be the prefered option.

It raises lots of questions. What size & configuration is the facility.
How many DECT bases required vs Wifi APs? How do they price out in each
case? Is wireless data required throughout the facility or campus with
even converage? Or is it only required in certain locations?

It would be very interesting to detail a very large scale DECT
installation (Kirk or Aastra?) vs a comparable VoWifi (Cisco or
Polycom?) installation.

I can easily see cases where DECT wins, and others where VoWifi would
make more sense. Both will no doubt be sucessful in appropriate niches.

Of course, with both the SpectraLink and Kirk brands under the Polycom
umbrella they are playing in both spaces these days.

Michael
--
Michael Graves
mgraves<at>mstvp.com