[asterisk-users] New Polycom SpectraLink 8002 Wifi SIP Handset

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Sun Jul 6 09:32:37 CDT 2008

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 05:02:51 -0400, Matt Watson wrote:

>On July 5, 2008 09:00:57 pm Julian Yap wrote:
>
>> Nice review.  Can this phone be provisioned without using TFTP?  For
>> example, over the internet?  Are there other provisioning methods?
>
>Theres no reason that you can;t do TFTP over the internet... Not so certain
>i'd recomend it since TFTP is authentication-less, but its still possible...
>and if security is in mind you could limit your TFTP server to specific
>source IPs

My impression is that the phone is intended for use in certain vertical
markets like large retail stores, warehouses, factories, etc. As such
the phones would most likely be inside the LAN, not on the public
internet. That said, you're right they could be provisioned from a TFTP
server over the internet is suitable precautions were taken. But then,
there may be better solutions for Wifi SIP roaming.

Michael
--
Michael Graves
mgraves<at>mstvp.com