[asterisk-users] Cell phone to PSTN adapter or IAX

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Jul 6 02:53:21 CDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 09:59:47AM -0400, Matt Watson wrote:
> On July 5, 2008 01:50:52 pm Joseph wrote:
> > Are they any such things as "Cell phone PSTN adapters"?
> >
> > Openmoko is coming out so I hope it will be possible to register it to
> > Asterisk and/or there will be a small iax registration program to
> > communicate with asterisk.
>
> The beauty of the OpenMoko is that it is entirely open and completely
> hackable... they encourage people to modify it and write software for it... I
> imagine making a SIP/IAX client for it would probably be rather easy.
>

> That being said... since the OpenMoko runs Linux as its OS... its probably
> possible to run Asterisk on the OpenMoko... you could probably even use
> Asterisk as that SIP/IAX client using chan_alsa to access the built in
> speaker/microphone... (I;m assuming they are accessible through ALSA).

http://projects.openmoko.org/projects/gbpnkans/

Though it needs a bit of updating.

> I don;t know the OpenMoko inside and out... i;ve done some light reading on it
> over the last year or so... so i;m really just making some logical
> assumptions here.

A few IAX clients for Linux:

 * iaxcomm - http://iaxclient.sourceforge.net/iaxcomm/ . Mostly a demo
   to the iaxclient library, I guess...
 * kiax - lately gathered some development again (what happened to the
   homepage)
 * yate/yate2 also has a gtk2 GUI. I haven't really played with them
   much and can't tell how practical (if at all) they are for this.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com